Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Mix-Ability Challenge - Artist Inspired

This week I'm playing along with the Mix-Ability challenge, posted on SplitcoastStampers.  This week's challenge was...anything goes!  Now that's a fun challenge!  The goal was to look back on past challenges and pick one to follow.  I opted for the Artist Inspired challenge and was blown away by the art of France Papillion.   Oh my...France is so wildly creative.  I was drooling over every single piece of art posted on your blog...stunning!  You won't have to look far to see which one of her art journal pages inspired my canvas. *wink*

When creating my canvas I stuck pretty close to her design, which I don't normally do, but I seriously loved every single bit of her layout....I couldn't even help myself! LOL!  So let's get started with how I created my piece...
I started by simply inking the edges of a 8x10 canvas panel with Wendy's Potting Soil Archival Ink.  (I'm in love with those little round blending tools!!)
I next used a Tim Holtz stamp and Jet Black Archival Ink to add some text over the bottom portion of the canvas...and just a wee bit on the top.
Then I grabbed some Ferro (I love this stuff!  You can see a video I created using this product here) and a stencil to add some great sparkly dimension to the bottom part of the canvas.
Check out how fabulous the ferro looks when it's dry...dreamy!  And then...the favorite part of this piece?  Those tiny drops of turquoise paint!  WooHoo!
For my main image, I stamped a dragonfly image (from Tim Holz) on to a piece of cardstock (edges inked).  The frame is a Tim Holtz die cut, which I cut from chipboard and added some faux rust.  The faux rust technique is done by embossing a piece with Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powder.  Once the powder has cooled, rub off some of the crystals, and then ink over the entire piece with black Archival Ink. (You have to use a light hand when applying the Archival Ink or your entire piece will become too dark.  I found that Black Soot Distress Ink wasn't quite dark enough to get the rusty look)
I used a bunch of metal pieces on my canvas.  I laid them all out first, to find the right placement, and then, in order for them to all be the same color, I used Teakwood Alcohol Ink and a felt blending tool to cover each metal embellishment.
I used a hot glue gun to add the metal embellishments.  I also added a sentiment, from the Tim Holtz Chit Chat Stickers.
And then I added my very favorite piece...This tiny file tab with just a hint of turquoise and cream twill!  Now if someone could please tell me what I did with my tiny attacher...because I really wanted that file tab to be attached to the ribbon with staples!  Arrrghhh...

Check out some other up close photos below:
  Here's a better view of the faux rust look...divine!
 Be sure to check out France's web page (you'll be drooling!) and the SplitcoastStampers Mix-Ability challenge!!
 
 
 

No comments: