photo kime5_zps3df5231d.png  photo kime6_zpsa90859c6.png  photo kime7_zps9d2ef86d.png  photo kime9_zpsb23b4278.png

Monday, May 6, 2013

Courage

Hi everyone!  I'm back today with an art journal project, and a video, where I demonstrate another gesso resist technique...this one is where I use gesso as an ink for stamps.  Fun stuff!  (Tim Holtz demonstrated this technique at a retailer event that I attended a few weeks ago). 
 
And...I'm working on my courage, showing you (in a big 'ol picture I might add) my very first face drawing.  Ugh...it needs work but I finished...I did it, I drew something by hand (me, who can barely draw a stick figure), and I'm super excited about continuing to learn and experiment! 
 
I do have to give a huge shout out to the following two ladies, who are the ones who provided a ton of inspiration and help when it came to some of the smaller details....Donna Downey, who just started drawing faces and her videos were a great help in pushing me to give it a try and Tamara Laporte, who is an artist I just stumbled upon (thank you Dyan Reaveley!) and I adore her art!  Her faces are amazing and I love the colors she uses...purples and blues in the hair...stunning!
 
Here's how my projects came together...(A full product list can be found at the end of my post)

I started by using gesso as an ink and then stamping with the Collage of Digits images all over two pages in my Dylusions journal (the video will provide you with step-by-step instruction on how to use the gesso).

Then I grabbed three Distress Stains (Spiced Maralade, Dusty Concord, & Broken China) and "scribbled" all over both pages.  A good spritz of water helped the colors to blend.  Once the pages were dry, I used my hand and more water to create the droplets.
I need added more design by grabbing a few 6x6 stencils from the Crafters Workshop.  Distress Ink gave color to the dark brown design and some Maya Gold gave color to another stencil.  (I adore metallic on my projects!)
And then I started sketching the face!  I started by using a charcoal pencil, which blends a bit when you go over it with paint (I used Golden Liquid Acrylics and Adirondack paint) but I like that extra shading bit.  I then filled in my face with a mixture of Titan Buff and Yellow Ochre and added the features.  Note...it's super hard to get the eyes the same size and once I'd finished I realized my lips were off center...had to repaint them!  I have a whole new appreciation for people who have nature drawing talent...it's super hard!  Once the face was complete, I painted the hair and added a shirt.  Then I added this great quote!

Notes for next time...my eyes are huge, as are my lips, need to make both smaller.  Need to work on the hair...it looks too flat or something, it needs more movement.  Maybe next time I'll just go for one of those no-feature faces...yeah, I like that idea...LOL!

Here's my produce list and the video link is below the list (feel free to email me with any questions at kim@eclecticpaperie.com).

Dylusions Journal
Claudine Hellmuth Gesso
Collage of Digits
Distress Stains
Quartrefoil Stencil
Golden Liquid Acrylics
Adirondack Paint Dabbers
Distress Ink (Gathered Twigs)

I created a video demonstrating the gesso resist-stamping technique.  Check it out below!  For your reference, it's also posted in the eClassroom where you can also check out our other videos.  Enjoy!


2 comments:

Micki said...

GF, she's beautiful. Really!!!! I love her. Yes, Tamara is who pushed me to draw a face on canvas for the first time. I am taking LifeBook 2013 and she is awesome. And Donna, well I LOVE Donna. She's amazing.
Love your background too. I really like that it's a 2 page spread but the girl is taking up one side. Awesome! Oh And am so looking forward to Dina's classes this weekend. One is about drawing faces/figures.

Sabrina said...

Only stick figures huh? I think you did a fabulous job!! She is beautiful!! Your journal pages are just absolutely gorgeous!! I can't wait to try it!!